Job Opportunity: RIH Seeks Legal Assistant/Paralegal
RIHousing strives to ensure that all people who live or work in Rhode Island can afford a healthy, attractive home that meets their needs. A good home provides the foundation upon which individuals and families thrive, children learn and grow, and communities prosper.
This position assists legal counsel in the Rhode Island Housing legal department with (i) the accurate and timely preparation and review of legal documentation, (ii) research of complex legal issues and (iii) legal and administrative support.
- Prepare and review legal documentation and correspondence for review by legal counsel for loans and grants funded by Rhode Island Housing to ensure accuracy and compliance, including, but not limited to, multi-family construction and permanent loans under the low-income housing tax credit (LIHTC) program, HOME loans, LeadSafe loans, Building Homes Rhode Island (BHRI) loans and Affordable Housing Trust Fund (AHTF) loans.
- Under legal counsel supervision, coordinate and conduct loan closings and perform all post-closing functions to protect Rhode Island Housing's security interest (including recordation of security instruments and UCC filings).
- Prepare, review and compile responses to summons, subpoenas and municipal lien notices and ancillary documentation for review by legal counsel to ensure that Rhode Island Housing's security interest is maintained.
- Responsible for coordinating, preparing and tracking all corporate filings for Rhode Island Housing and its affiliates.
- Responsible for coordinating title research and review, and processing requests for mortgage releases and discharges.
- Responsible for the maintenance of all Rhode Island Housing rules and regulations for all state and federal programs.
- Assist legal counsel with the administrative rulemaking procedures under the Rhode Island Administrative Procedures Act, the production of documents under the Rhode Island Access to Public Records Act, and compliance with the Rhode Island Open Meetings Act.
- Responsible for maintaining and organizing corporate minute books and multi-family loan closing documentation.
- Responsible for building and maintaining legal department document management database.
- Perform other duties and provide department support as directed by General Counsel and legal department counsel.
- Minimum five (5) years of administrative, paralegal or loan closing experience or mastery of the above-described functions and accountabilities, as demonstrated through superior academic credentials or specialized training.
- Bachelor's degree, associate's degree or certificate program in paralegal studies, or equivalent educational background.
- Demonstrated expertise in real estate transactions; knowledge of legal documentation, closing procedures, title insurance and corporate related issues.
- Exposure and knowledge of real estate lending and affordable housing development preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong legal research techniques, report-generating, problem-solving and organizational skills.
- Experience using legal database software; relevant computer knowledge and experience, including without limitation proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) software.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with colleagues and supervisory staff at all levels.
- Ability to manage multiple projects.
- Use of personal vehicle, valid driver's license and proof of insurance is required.
RIHousing Salary Grade B2-4
Rhode Island Housing is an EEO/AA employer committed to a diverse workforce.