JOB OPENING: Associate Director of Community Development, City of PVD
Job Type: Non-Union
Job Posting: COP-00115-21
Salary: $67,329 - $73,644*
Department: Planning and Development
The City of Providence formally invites historically underrepresented groups, such as women and minorities to apply for its open positions.
The Associate Director of Community Development works directly under the Director of Community Development and is responsible for assisting with the implementation and administration of all Community Development and Housing Programs in the City's Department of Planning & Development, Division of Housing & Community Development , including but not limited to: local Affordable Housing Trust projects, HOME projects, CDBG projects, NSP Projects, Home Repair Loans, Down Payment Assistance, Lead Repair Loans, Emergency Solutions Grants, and Housing Opportunities for Persons with HIV/AIDS.
The Position will also assist the Director of Community Development in developing and administering Community Development and Housing Policy Initiatives, Programs, and Plans for the City of Providence.
*Position may be eligible for an additional $10,000 stipend for work associated with the Providence Housing Trust.
Duties & Responsibilities
Under the Supervision of the Director of Community Development, the Assistant Director performs the following tasks:
1. Plans, organizes, and directs a wide variety of Community Development and Housing programs and projects. Writes grants and pursues other funding sources where necessary.
2. Assists with management of daily operations in the Division of Housing & Community Development and assists with implementing departmental goals, objectives, policies and procedures related to Community Development and Housing.
3. Develops, updates, and maintains program policies, construction guidelines, program manuals, underwriting procedures, and other documents as needed.
4. Assists Director to facilitate the proper administration and management of Federal entitlement programs from application solicitation to close out of projects and grants.
5. Directs, trains, and supervises staff in the Division, providing technical direction to staff to ensure compliance with established procedures, policies, and prescribed management and operating techniques.
6. Oversees and negotiates complex development projects and deals, while managing risk and ensuring compliance with applicable local, state, and federal regulations and policies.
7. Assists with the review of grant applications, pro-formas, operating budgets, rent/sale prices, procurement documents, construction specifications/plans, etc. to ensure compliance with local, state, and federal policies and regulations.
8. Conducts market and other needs analysis related to Housing Development.
9. Understands, interprets, and ensures compliance with local planning, zoning, and building requirements.
10. Oversees and assists with the preparation and distribution of local and federal reports, including Consolidated Plan and Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report.
11. Manages data entry into local and federal systems including IDIS and DRGR.
12. Other tasks related to the position as necessary.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Driver's License.
- Must possess one of the following combinations:
a. Bachelor's Degree in Real Estate Development, Finance, Urban Planning, Public Administration, and/or related field plus a preferred six (6) years experience in affordable housing project management and compliance with U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development programs.
b. Master's Degree in Real Estate Development, Finance, Urban Planning, Public Administration, and/or related field plus a preferred four (4) years experience in affordable housing project management and compliance with U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development programs.
- Must be skilled in Microsoft Office Products (including but not limited to Word and Excel).
- Must be able to underwrite affordable housing development projects and housing assistance .
- Must demonstrate knowledge of the community and commitment to the objectives of housing and community development.
- Must be highly organized with a proven ability to manage multiple unique projects at the same time.
- Must possess background in and knowledge of affordable housing, complex real estate development and financing mechanisms for affordable housing or other community development fields.
- Must possess experience working with federal regulations and funding sources, including but not limited to:
c. Affordable Housing Tax Credits
d. Lead Hazard Mitigation
e. Section 3
f. Section 504
g. Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing
9. Must possess experience working with municipal affordable housing trusts.
10. Must have the ability to analyze project information for the purpose of evaluations and related reports.
11. Must have the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
12. Must exhibit a demonstrated ability to coordinate with multiple parties including: community organizations, nonprofits, developers, contractors, other funding partners, and state/federal government partners.
13. Must have the ability to write memoranda, narrative reports, and to compile statistical reports.
14. Must have the ability to build and maintain positive working relationships with non-profit groups, developers, and state agencies.
15. Must have the ability to work independently with limited supervision and to complete tasks in a timely manner.
16. Must be able to perform all essential functions of the job.
Posting expires on: 03/27/2021