Habitat for Humanity RI-GP Interim ED Job Description
Position: Interim Executive Director
Reports to: Board of Directors (the Board Chair will be available to meet on a regular schedule with the Interim E.D.)
Supervises: General Contractor; CPA; Volunteers
Schedule: May 1, 2020 - October 31, 2020; Candidates should be available 30 - 40 hours per week
Compensation: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Mission Statement: Habitat for Humanity of Rhode Island—Greater Providence, Inc. (HFHRIGP) is a nonprofit ecumenical Christian organization dedicated to eliminating poverty housing in communities in the Greater Providence area and to making decent shelter a matter of conscience and action.
Scope of the Position
The Interim ED is responsible for overseeing day-to-day operations and fundraising for HFHRIGP. The Interim ED is the ultimate internal decision-maker on operational decisions and works closely with the Board of Directors for organizational decisions. The Interim ED will work closely with the Board of Directors to support and facilitate effective oversight and direction setting.
The Interim ED will sustain the successes of HFHRIGP as the board searches for a permanent ED.
There is potential for the Interim ED to transition to permanent status contingent upon performance and Board approval.
During the interim period there are several priority areas that will require the Interim ED's attention:
1. Oversee current build to completion
2. Closely monitor the budget, especially tracking and problem-solving revenue generation and expenditures.
3. Apply for grant opportunities weekly
4. Solicit, track, manage and thank donations
5. Identify and manage volunteer groups
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is the public face of the organization, responsible for advocating for the mission and vision of the affiliate, and is responsible for the day to day management of HFHGP, as well as working with the Board to establish and attain long term goals.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Organizational and Leadership Responsibilities
• Maintain a close working relationship with HFH International and stay current with all HFH policies and practices to ensure the affiliate is complying with policies and procedures.
• Manage overall operations, including resource development, financial monitoring and reporting, marketing and community outreach.
• With the Board of Directors, continue to develop a vision and policies to guide the organization.
• Work in close cooperation with the Board of Directors and staff on governance, budgeting, board development, volunteer management, family selection, fundraising, and all matters affecting the affiliate.
• Develop community partnerships and manage existing alliances.
• Manage general contractor to complete current build on schedule and on budget
• Visit the construction sites as necessary to make sure all are functioning satisfactorily.
• Update HFHRIGP website and social media content regularly
• With the Family Selection Committee of the Board, manage family services to existing Habitat homeowners and supervise selection process for new homeowners.
• Cultivate and support relationships with volunteer base. Ensure that volunteers are recognized and acknowledged for their contributions.
• Represent HFHRIGP in the public sphere always with the intention of growing the affiliate's resources and raising awareness about the pressing need for affordable housing.
• Engage local college and high school campus chapters and assist in their activities.
Resource/ Fundraising Development
• Work closely with Board and staff to develop budgets ensuring that affiliate is maintaining a sustainable model.
• Working with the Board and Fundraising Committee, establish goals for increasing incoming capital through grants, fundraising events, capital campaigns and other methods such as selling mortgages.
• Develop and cultivate strong relationships with donors and community members and organizations.
• Actively research and solicit gifts from foundations, companies and individuals.
• Working with the Finance committee, ensure HFHGP continues to operate in a fiscally responsible manner and maintains transparency and adequate funding to carry out its work.
• Oversee financial management and reporting, including monthly financial reports to the Finance Committee and Board of Directors, preparation of the annual budget and preparation for independent audits.
• Monitoring of cash flow, enforcement of financial policies for expenditures, authorizations and report concerns/discrepancies to the Finance Committee and the Board.
• Bachelor's degree, preferably in business or non-profit administration, public policy, land use planning or a related field or equivalent experience
• Management experience (non-profit organization(s) preferred) with responsibility for managing people, budgets and plans
• Ability to work and collaborate effectively with a variety of different parties (e.g. Board of Directors, volunteers, Habitat families, donors, governmental and community organizations, staff, etc.)
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Genuine and significant care for the well-being of others and the desire to effect positive change in Rhode Island
• A resourceful innovator capable of problem solving big and small issues
• Ability to motivate and lead others to do good in the world
• Knowledge of Habitat for Humanity, affordable housing principles, residential construction, planning processes, financing strategies, real estate transactions and local development constraints
• Familiarity with funding sources for affordable housing (HOME, CDBG, etc.)
• Familiarity with and past successes in identifying, applying for, tracking and receiving grants
• Knowledge of and relationship with local governmental leaders, including elected officials and key governmental staff members
• Knowledge and experience in working with volunteers
• Bi-lingual in Spanish
• Proficient in Quickbooks
Interested applicants should send their resume and cover letter to email@example.com by March 15, 2020
Courtesy of Habitat for Humanity of Rhode Island - Greater Providence