Ranch & ADU
What is a Ranch?
The Ranch is a single-story single family home that is a popular domestic style. It is characterized by a large, balanced floor plan and a long horizontal elevation. The entrance is in the center separating a living room, dining room and kitchen with the bedrooms and bathrooms. There is usually an attached garage and a fairly large lot size. Interior conversions are not very feasible because of the minimal extra room, but if done will eliminate a considerable amount of room for the family.
Ranch: The Ranch home became popular after World War II as residential development increased in the suburban neighborhoods of Rhode Island. Ranches provided a functional single family home on one floor level. Key features are:
- Typically all rooms on one main floor level.
- Low pitched roof side-gable or hipped roof.
- Attic space is typically uninhabitable.
- Common area and sleeping areas often separate.
- Often has an attached garage.
- Typically have 30 foot setback.
- Lot size ⅓-½ acre.