Garage Conversion & ADU
What is a Garage Conversion?
The garage is a great option for those who can park their vehicles in a different spot. It almost always already has a connection to the house and (if built for two cars) has ample area for a spacious ADU. Garages however are also not always well insulated and may lead to some problems in terms of adaptability.
Pros and Cons
- Shell is already provided
- No existing spaces - a blank floor plan
- Existing connection to house
- No loss of family space
- Add to and work into the existing plumbing, electrical, and HVAC
- Very close accessibility between family and family member
- Shell may need to be insulated/added to
- Addition of windows into shell is needed
- Garage door needs to be patched and insulated
- May be size constraints
- Loss of space for cars/storage